Friday, September 6, 2013

New Book Finds, Site for Lesson Plans, and a Find {Five for Friday}

I've made a lot of new discoveries this week, so I thought this post would be the perfect way to share them all! I'm linking up with Doodle Bug's Teaching for the FAB Five for Friday!


1. I've made two great books finds this week while checking out the books my students had chosen from our school library. I wanted to make sure I would remember them, so what better way than to put them up on the blog to share with all my wonderful readers! 


The cover art on Hide and Seek Fog caught my eye. Once I started reading it knew it would be perfect for a writing lesson on descriptive language. I think you could really dive into this book with students and look at adding descriptions to writing. The pictures are also beautiful and that never hurts! 


The Life Cycle of a Spider is a great nonfiction book!! The bright cover drew me in and then I couldn't stop flipping through pages. It has a really nice combination of real photographs, drawings, and diagrams. This one will be perfect to pull out for nonfiction text features. 

2. I'm a gummy bear. I may be the last person on Earth to know about this song!! My kiddos mentioned it last week and I had to do some investigating. It makes a super fun brain break. 


3. Have you ever visited Ag in the Classroom? This little gem of a website has a lot of fabulous lesson plan ideas that integrate agriculture. 


After you click on the map above, select your state then choose Lesson Plans from the Teacher drop down menu at the top. There are some featured lesson plans and if you scroll down to the bottom you can do a more detailed search by grade level and subject area. I've used a few lessons in my class, especially for science, and the kiddos loved it! 

4. E-Z Grader + Amazon = love I just discovered that Amazon carries colored E-Z Graders. I'd only see the dull green ones in stores, so I am very excited about this.
5. I'll leave you with this little love note from one of my sweeties! Remember back a few weeks ago when I said we needed to work on writing...remember that when you read this.  : ) 

What have you been up to this week? 

8 comments:

  1. There is an E-Z Grader-like app I use all the time called GroovyGrader. It's one less thing to worry about, since I aways have my phone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids last year LOVED the Gummy Bear Song. The only downside is that it was constantly in my head...haha!

    I found you through Caffeine and Lesson Plans grade link up. I taught third grade for the past six years and now I'm teaching 4th grade. Excited to get some new ideas.

    I'd love for you to check out my blog, http://msthirdgrade.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breanne, I'm your newest follower. I always love finding a new 4th grade blogger! I've been singing the gummy bear song for a whole day now!!! When will it is stop!?

      Delete
  3. Aw I love the little note! How sweet :) Makes our job worth it in so many ways!

    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the gummy bear song! It is definitely a good brain break and it is in my head now thanks to you! haha!! What a sweet note from your student.
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper
    P.S.
    I used your "glow" freebie for open house last week and gave it a shout-out in my five for Friday.:) Thanks for the freebie!! My whole team used it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it awesome when one of our kiddos writes us a note??? You never know when you are going to make a difference. Keep doing what you're doing! :)

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your note is awesome. How sweet that the child is thank you already! Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

    Hunter's Teaching Tales
    Find me on Facebook

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...