Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Feedly {Tried it Tuesday}


I was heartbroken when I heard the news that Google Reader would be saying goodbye this summer. I have been a faithful user for many years and really enjoyed the service. As soon as I heard the news I started looking for other options for an RSS reader. 
I tried a few different options and finally settled on Feedly. In the beginning, the major selling point for me was that Feedly would automatically transfer all of my blog subscriptions over from Google Reader. 
Here is a screen shot of my Feedly from earlier today.

See the list over on the right under "My Feedly"? That is one of my favorite things about the program. I follow a lot of blogs, most of them are about teaching but not all of them. I follow a deal site called slickdeals.net and there are always a lot of posts on my feed each day just from that one site. When I open feedly I can click on slickdeals under "My Feedly" and view just the posts from that one site. This way they are all bunched together and I can quickly scroll through them and then check that they've all been read. There are a few other sites I follow that I like to use this feature with. Its really helpful for days when I have 100+ items in my reader and I'm trying to weed through it all to get to the good stuff I really want to read! 

Feedly's layout is super customizable. I'm not going to say it was love at first sight for me, because it did take several days of playing with the setting to get things just the way I like it, but now I LOVE it. For each post in my reader I see the title, originating site, a picture, and a little blurb from the post. This gives me enough details to let me decide if I wan't to read on or just mark it as read. 

I think Feedly is a great reader with a lot of wonderful features and options that make customizing your experience very easy! Anyone else hooked on Feedly?  

I'm linking up with Holly at Fourth Grade Flipper for Tried it Tuesday. What have you tried lately?


6 comments:

  1. I've gone to feedly too. I do miss being able to tag things on my ipad but other than that it seems to do the job. I also like all the little sections your can create and open/close to view.

    Heather
    room 4 imagination

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feddly is good. I'm hoping Flipboard will work as well. I lvoe that app.

    matt
    Digital: Divide & Conquer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never used Google Reader I just read blogs from my dashboard and have tried Bloglovin but am thinking about checking out Feedly.....so many things to keep up with I need school to end!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you tried Bloglovin' as well? I was wondering how it compared to Feedly. PI'd love to hear the pros and cons of each. :)

    Wendy
    Read With Me ABC

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks better than what I have seen with Bloglovin'. Although I don't really use a reader that much because I don't have enough time to keep up! Pinning for this summer when I may have more reading time:)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  6. So can you delete the links after you've read them or do they stay on your screen? Someone at the National Writing Project today mentioned flipboard-they said it was very visual. I need to check both of them out!

    Shannon
    http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...