Sunday, June 2, 2013

Dogku {Must Read Mentor Text}


Happy Sunday everyone! I just woke up from a shamefully long nap and a mountain of laundry awaits me so this post will be short and sweet. Since Amanda and Stacia started their Must Read Mentor Text linky, Sundays have become one of my favorite blogging days. I love getting great tips on new books to try in my classroom. 
I am an animal lover and I always gravitate towards books about animals, but I like an animal book with a happy ending. There are too many sad things that happen in real life, so when I read I want to spend my time reading something happy! Today I'm going to share a happy-ending book from one of my favorite authors, Andrew Clements. 

The book is about a little dog who needs a home and is tentatively taken in by a family with children. Most kids can make a connection to this kind of story, so they are always immediately hooked and concerned for the dog's well being. I always use this book for making predictions because the big question throughout the book is will the family keep the dog. 

There are some adorable illustrations in this book. I wish I had it here at home to take a few pictures for you. There are several pages that describe what the dog does during the day while the kids are at school and it is too cute! Anyone with a pet can relate to wondering what animals do all day while their people are away! 

Each page of the book is written as a haiku, so it would also be a great addition to a poetry unit. 



I hope you will enjoy this fun, happy ending book about an adorable little dog! 


10 comments:

  1. Andrew Clements is a fabulous writer and my 4th graders love his chapter books. I have seen this book in my school library. I am going to take a look at it tomorrow. It looks like one I would like to add to my collection. Thanks for sharing.

    Foreman Teaches

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this book-but it looks super cute! My wishlist just keeps growing!

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not seen this book but I love Andrew Clements and I am always game for one of his books. Thanks for introducing me to this one. :)
    Brandee @ Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this book! Thanks so much for sharing!

    Sarah @ Hoots N Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dogku is too cute! Finally, a book I own. This linky is expensive.

    Kristin
    Teachntex

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwww, yay! Thank you!

    I'm so glad that you linked this up because I'm thinking of starting the year teaching poetry so this is perfect! I don't think I have this book but I have seen it and assumed it was written in haiku! It sounds adorable!

    So glad you linked up!!!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the reminder about this book! Just taught haikus a couple of weeks ago-this would've been perfect! I'll pin it for next year! So jealous of your nap!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Andrew Clements! Hadn't seen this book yet. Great suggestion :)
    Thanks,
    Karli
    Creating a Thoughtful Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that one too. I read it to my kids every year when we write haiku. I like the end notes where he gives some background information.


    Heather
    room 4 imagination

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...