Tuesday, May 21, 2013

My System for Classroom Jobs {Tried it Tuesday}


My thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected by the tornadoes in Oklahoma. I saw this picture show up on my Facebook feed today and thought it was so appropriate. 

I'm linking up with Holly at Fourth Grade Flipper for her Tried it Tuesday linky party. Since most of us seem to be in that place between trying to finish out this year and getting ideas for next year I thought I'd share how I set up classroom jobs in my room. 
Photobucket

Instead of specific jobs this year I've had a classroom helper each day. The helper is announced during morning roll call and takes lunch and attendance to the office, run errands, etc. for the day. 


I like using playing cards in the classroom, so I got these fun cards at the Dollar General and wrote my student's names on the bottom of each card. I keep the cards in a magnetic basket on the chalkboard near my desk. Every morning I pull a new card from the front of the stack and add yesterday's card to the back. If a child is absent on the day his/her card is pulled it is moved to the back. 
I like this system because I only have one card to move, everyone gets a turn at the job, and it's easy to add new students to the system. I also don't have to make up things for the kids to do (I just never found a lot of jobs for my kiddos to do) or have them always asking me if it was time to do their jobs. 

Another bonus with The Dog cards - I wrote names on cards before I ever met my students, so now that I know them I get a kick out of seeing which dog card their names ended up on! Some of them are so fitting and others are so far off! Some days you just need something, anything to get you through...LOL 
How do you manage classroom jobs?  

8 comments:

  1. I posted about classroom jobs too - very similar idea that I got from Joanne at Head Over Heels for Teaching. I really like your way too - simple is better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is so simple! It doesn't take up any space and it doesn't create all of those jobs I try to make up. I think I will do this next year :)

    Thanks for sharing!
    Annie
    Three Cheers for First Grade!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you love it? So much easier than keeping track of 20+ jobs (which I was terrible at)! I have teacher of the day, very similar! Great minds think alike! :O)
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute system! I love the bonus! We have to keep ourselves entertained. :)
    Brandee @ Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great system, I need to try a simpler way next year.

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! I think I am going to do something similar next year!! No more rotating cards! Ugh!!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this idea! We usually just go down the list, but this way is much more fun!
    Susanna
    Whimsy Workshop 

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the card idea! Too cute!! I have always had just one teacher helper too and have tried many jobs the last 10 weeks or so. Some of the students are great at their jobs and it has really helped out in many ways in the classroom. Then other students only want the job of line leader and don't seem much interested in anything else. I started more jobs because I really needed some classroom librarians and many wanted to help with that (although only a few are still loving it and have the "skills"! I really need to do some thinking for next year. Do you have classroom librarians? I was initially inspired by this post: http://allthingsupperelementary.blogspot.com/2013/02/behind-scenes-my-classroom-library.html Thanks for sharing and I am pinning for my days of brainstorming this summer:)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...