Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Book Finds for Struggling Readers in Upper Elementary {Tried it Tuesday}

A couple months back I was having trouble finding books my struggling 4th grade readers would enjoy. This particular group is reading somewhere between a low 1st grade (with a few lower) to high 2nd grade range, so I was having a tough time finding things that look like they were "big" enough to be cool and keep them interested. 

I made a big order, thanks to my principal, on Scholastic and we've really been enjoying our new books. We've had the books about a month and the kids have definitely picked out some favorites, so I thought I'd share them for my Tried it Tuesday with Holly from Fourth Grade Flipper




Sorry for the major glare on that last book. School lighting just doesn't cooperate for pictures sometimes! 

We love Fly Guy! I can't get enough of those books to satisfy my kiddos! I'll have some kids with 3 in their book bags at a time. These are perfect for some of my lowest readers.

Magic School Bus is a classic, of course, but this version is a little easier to read and the kids are starting to discover how much fun they are. 

The Weird School series by Dan Gutman is the perfect chapter book series for those 2nd/3rd grade level readers. 

What parts I've read of Roscoe Riley Rules are hilarious! I'm actually planning on doing this one as a fun read aloud with the class in the next few weeks. It would be a good chapter book for beginning or middle 2nd graders. 

I ordered several books in the Rookie Biographies series and I was pretty impressed. They definitely have a lot of great information and are very readable. They have about a paragraph on each page, which is nice for some of the more advanced readers because they don't zoom through them so quickly!



The Boris books were so popular that I couldn't even find one in the library to get a picture of! It seems like every day I have a kid tell me he's finished with his Boris book and needs a new one. This series has been especially popular with the boys and that is usually the toughest crowd!

These books have literally changed my reading class. Everyone begs for silent reading time and they are just devouring these books because they are interesting on their level. I'm thrilled with the progress we're making and how their attitudes about reading have changed! I'm just hoping I can keep enough books to keep their interest up! 

What other books would you recommend for my reading friends? 



4 comments:

  1. Dragonbreath and Lunch Lady are two other series that my kiddos love. They are perfect for kids on a 2/3 grade level, but interesting enough that my 4th graders love it (and the 5th graders come back to my room to borrow them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I love getting new books. I think I order books faster than our Media Center does. I'm a total sucker when the kids beg for new books to all of the series they enjoy. My poor wallet!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see Bethany recommended Lunch Lady...that was the first book that came to my mind. My kids are also loving the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys graphic novels.

    Sarah
    MissKinBK

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely need some more books at the 2nd grade level. I only have so many Bailey School Kids and have quite a few readers who need below the 3rd grade. Thank you for sharing these ideas for books!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...