Saturday, October 19, 2013

Grading Homework {Spark Student Motivation Saturday}


Happy Saturday, everyone! I am off to a craft festival today with my mom and sister, but I wanted link up with Joanne at Head Over Heels for Teaching to share a quick motivational discovery I made this week. 

I decided to have my students grade their own ABC Order spelling homework papers on Thursday. We had the time and I didn't need one more set of papers to grade with it being the end of the grading period! 

Wow! You'd have thought I'd let them do something really special. They loved it! I really wasn't expecting them to be so happy about it. The novelty of using an ink pen was partly to blame here I think, but whatever works, right? 


Those few students who didn't have their homework looked really disappointed, so I'm hoping this will be motivation for completing it on time! 

They were also fascinated by my stamp that I hadn't used in several years. It came from Vista Print as a freebie once upon a time. I always like to use it when we check papers together in class, just so parents are kept in the loop. 


This one did double duty - motivating for the kids and less grading for me! That is a win, win!! 

Do you have students check their own papers? Any tricks to share with me? 

3 comments:

  1. My kiddos love checking their own work. I have made a lot of self-checking math stations so that I don't have to check every station/task card that they do. It saves me a lot of time, and gives them immediate feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's something about putting a check on a paper with an ink pen that is sooooo exciting! I remember feeling the same way when I was kid. Great idea!

    -Amanda
    Teacher At The Wheel

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love having my students check work. They beg...and I don't deny them the fun!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...