Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Trash Basket {Tried it Tuesday}

Trash basket? You may be asking yourself who needs to write a post about that, right? Well I may be the last person ever to jump on this bandwagon, but it has been so handy for me that I decided I must share! Therefore, I am linking up with Holly from Fourth Grade Flipper for my Trash Basket Tried it Tuesday! 

I inherited this basket when I moved into my classroom. It sat on a shelf for 4 years, until this year when I started using real glue!! Gasp...it has been a difficult adjustment for me, but now we just roll with it! 

I'm loving Interactive Notebooks (and starting to love real glue more), but I was not in love with the mess all that cutting left in my room. My kiddos are not the best ever at getting all their trash in the can and up out of the floor. 
I was inspired by some post or pin, that I now cannot find, that had an individual trash can for each group. I decided to just pass my empty glue basket around and let the kids put their trash in it. 


Works like a charm! The floor is less messy and there aren't 23 kiddos up making a meandering path to the trash can! 

5 comments:

  1. Our custodians did not like when we added extra trash cans in rooms unless the kids were emptying them at the end of the day. I so would be doing it if not. I don't think the kids love when I say, "The first person to pick up 11 pieces of trash and bring it to me wins a prize" because I always forget about the prize. My favorite always too is when they say, "It's not mine." I love real glue...a lot.
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that it could be passed around so they all don't have to get up at one time... wonderful! Thanks for the great tip :)

    Amanda
    My Shoe String Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found all the paper waste with interactive notebooks overwhelming at first too. I put out (actually a student usually remembers to do it!) a basket for each group and then we empty all the paper into the recycle bin. You are right it is a simple, but great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally need to do this!! Right now, I tell the students that ONE student from each group (the first one done) cleans up the scraps and throws them out because I cannot handle aimless wandering around the room. If the trash was right there, no one would have to "wander". :)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use little bowls as trash buckets. Sometimes I forget to use them. I need to use them more consistently because they do work well.
    ~April Walker
    The Idea Backpack
    Balancing the Backpack

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...