Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Into the Book {Wonderful Websites for Workshop Wednesday}


Hi everyone! I'm linking up with Jivey for Wonderful Websites of Workshop Wednesday. 

I used my 2nd snow day of the week to think, think, think about a site I might not have shared on here before. After some lounging on the couch and TV watching it came to me - Into the Book!


In my mind when I try to think of this website I always refer to it as the purple site, just a little random side note for you! 

The site focuses on 8 different comprehension strategies: prior knowledge, making connections, questions, visualizing, inferring, summarizing, evaluating, and synthesizing. Basically, all the stuff my kiddos still need a lot of practice on!

There two different sides to the side - Kids and Teachers. Here is a screenshot of the teacher side of the site.




Just look at all the information available to teachers for each category!! The books section is awesome - just lists of books that are great for teaching the strategy. The student interactive tab gives you all the info you need before you turn your kiddos loose on the site to play. The links tab has additional teacher materials and even more sites where the students can get practice! 

The kids' side of the site is visually appealing. 


I clicked on the inferring magnifying glass and started on an activity about a pen pal letter. 


After reading the text the kids move the magnifying glass over parts of the text that support an inference and then choose what the inference is. 


Really, you've gotta just get on the site and play around. There are so many great features! I think I'll be pulling out the student site for my kiddos to work on during after school tutoring over the next few weeks! 

Do you use Into the Book? Is there any one part of the site you that you like best? 

Have you entered my giveaway? Click on the picture below to get signed up! 


4 comments:

  1. You know what??? I have this website saved on my link of Reading/ELA websites for the kids and I have never actually dug into it myself. I will need to ask my kiddos if they use it without me monitoring. I'm going to check it out more closely for sure! Thanks for the suggestion, love!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. This site sounds great! I'm heading over there to check it out now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of this site!! Thanks so much for sharing!! :)

    Katie
    Mind Sparks

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a FANTASTIC website! I can't wait to dive into it myself!! Thanks for linking it up!
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey
    Follow me on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...