Sunday, March 2, 2014

Creepy Carrots {Must Read Mentor Text}


I've got Spring Fever! I skipped over all the St. Patrick's Day books and went straight to one with bunnies and carrots for today's Must Read Mentor Text linky. Well, on second thought this one may not be your typical Spring book, but it is pretty fun! 


I discovered this book last week at our public library and I just knew my kids would love it. The book tells all about Jasper Rabbit and his creepy carrot problem. I don't want to give away too much of the story because the ending is fantastic! 

Instead of spilling the beans about the book I'll share a few of my favorite illustrations. 



Before I share with you how I used the text in my class, let me just say that this book has some amazing potential for vivid verbs! I am thinking we will have to revisit it and look at that aspect of the book!

I was introducing QAR to my students this past week, so I decided this would be a fun text to use with them. They ate it up!! On Monday I'd told them we would reread the book again the following day and work more with it. The first question the kids had on Tuesday was, "Are we going to read that creepy book again?" 


We started out our QAR study by getting our notebooks prepped and looking at the question categories.


I tried flipping this picture and it looked all crazy and hurt my head, so just imagine it right side up...lol! The left notebook page has question categories and the right side has a foldable with question stems. 

I modeled creating QAR questions using Creepy Carrots on Tuesday and students pitched in on Wednesday when we revisited Love, Splat! Finally, they were ready to work with partners to get even more practice creating questions. 


We are no where near mastering the concept, but the group activity certainly gave me a better idea of who has a handle on asking questions and who will need some more support from me.


You can click here to check out my QAR resources in my TPT store. 

And since you have made it to the end of what feels like the longest post in the world, here is your reward. A little hint of things to come!! 


7 comments:

  1. I just heard this book for the first time this summer! Funny!! Thanks for sharing your interactive notebook ideas and how you used the text with your kids.

    Smiles,
    Sarah @ Hoots N' Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks adorable!!! I'm guessing it's a happy ending, not a scary one, right? I bet the kids eat it up!!! Thanks so much for sharing this!!! It looks so fun!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some reason I think I bought this book, but I just can't remember. I'm going on the hunt in my closet at school tomorrow for it.
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get the privilege of reading this book to my daughter's first grade classroom this Tuesday! When I first read it, I thought it was kinda creepy, but in a cute way! I found a cute activity on TPT that goes with the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How much fun will that be?! I can only imagine there little faces while they listen to you! I was really surprised at how many activities I found to go along with the book, too!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just ordered this book- now I'm really excited to get it!
    Thanks,
    Karli
    Creating a Thoughtful Classroom

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...