Friday, April 19, 2013

Reading Stations, Task Cards, Dioramas and a Freebie {Five for Friday}


Its time for Five for Friday at Doodle Bugs Teaching.

1. I am thankful to have made it through the first official week of review. I have to confess that I really dislike reviewing for Social Studies. I feel like a broken record and we have 5 weeks of review, so this year I decided to really step it up and create review stations for Social Studies and reading. I've got to admit that I was very nervous on Monday morning, but I'm happy to say that the stations have been a big success. 

2. During reading review stations we used two of the activities from the Spring Language Arts and Math Centers for Big Kids by Collaboration Cuties. They were a big hit with everyone! Don't those little chicks just make you happy?



3. I also used my first ever set of task cards in a station and I've got to say that I'm in love! I was so impressed with how the cards were appropriate for all my learners. Even my fastest workers were busy and engaged! We used Rachel's Context Clues task cards this week. 


4. We have been reviewing our standards on First Americans and I thought it might be fun to make these "dioramas" showing how the First Americans got their food in each of the seasons. You can click here for the freebie if you'd like to try this in your class. My kids were amazed with this activity and I'm pretty sure I gained a few steps on the coolness ladder because I knew how to fold paper like this! Hahaha 

5. Scholastic Teacher Express is having a sale on pocket charts!! The hanging file organizer I love is on sale - I picked up two for $17.24 including shipping! Click here to shop the sale and use code PC50. Sale ends on Saturday 4/20. 

I hope everyone has a relaxing and enjoyable weekend! 

8 comments:

  1. I love task cards, too! I'm so thankful for bloggers sharing about them so I would know!
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey


    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing blog you have. I found you through Doodle Bugs and the Friday Linky. I love the cards you have in your post. I teach Prep in Australia but I am the Curriculum Leader/Coach across school and my teachers will love this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words! Do you have a blog I can visit?

      Delete
  3. Cute ideas! Thanks for the tip on the sale! Our testing ended yesterday...good luck...your kids will do great!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your class has been busy! Looks like lots of great review activities! Thanks for the diorama freebie!
    Bethany
    FabandFunin4th!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use task cards all the time. They are a great way for the kids to move around while still getting some work done.

    Jeanette
    Third Grade Galore

    ReplyDelete
  6. Task cards are perfect for review. My students enjoy using them and look forward to using new sets that I make or find. Thanks for sharing!

    Foreman Teaches

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the pics of your students working at centers! Oh...a SALE? Is that the file pocket chart that I love too? Yay!!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...